Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.

Started yesterday truck has 3126 cat rough idle knocking

Customer Question

started yesterday truck has 3126 cat rough idle knocking noise smokes with a bad diesel smell.. what would be the problem its a 99 sterling 270000 miles
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: not much else
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

This sounds like a fault with at least one fuel injector allowing to much fuel into the cylinder.i have seen this as a common fault on several diesel models in the past before and will cause a knock from to much fuel,smoke from fuel being burned off in the cylinder as well as the diesel smell.

I would have the fuel injectors tested to help locate which ones or which one is at fault needing replaced.Most diesel repair facilities can test the injectors for you to let you know which ones need replaced.This should be done soon as this can cause piston damage in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete