Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a few questions about my 2010 freightliner columbia

Customer Question

I have a few questions about my 2010 freightliner columbia with a 2009 detroit 60 series
1-after my engine had a valve adjustment, which found the valves were tight, should this give any additional power?
2-after my engine had a valve adjustment, I still have a small amount of hesitation just after shifting, when the fuel is applied, is the normal for this engine?
2-Is there a fix for the egr/dpf issue? After about 300 miles, my truck goes into a driving regen, is there a way to set this so it will do this at 1000 miles?
I believe my last six of my vin is AS7363
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

valves and injectors need to be set exactly to manufactures specs for peak performance. any variation will result in in hesitation and power issues.

hesitation is not normal

no, you cannot re set. this is controlled by ecm and acm. if the dpf is clogging up, you need to find out why and have it checked out. do you have any codes on the truck???

possible weakness??? who and how was this determined???

Roy

are you there

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Roy I'm not exactly happy with this answer I asked for a high detailed answer and this was a generalization in my opinion. I am looking to see if there's a way to improve my performance even if it doesn't follow exact specifications how experienced are you in 60 series Detroit engine as this engine was made 18 months with a DPF system that isn't full please advise
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a workaround or better performance on this engine

I answered your questions in order the way you asked them.

what do or are you trying to do??? is there a performance issue??? do you have any codes I need to be aware of???

I am fully certified in detroits and have been.

you have after treatment issues I see if you are re genning too often

and what about the 2 injectors I asked about???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Roy I have read your last messages... one of the questions I asked is whether or not there was a workaround for the EGR / DPF I did not see an answer for this the other answers I got from you are things I already knew... the answers to me did not seem highly detailed... there were no codes just a diagnosis add out of the four times I had the truck diagnosed one of those times it was told to me that there was a possible weak injector 2 at 4 I was also told by my mechanic that if the injectors were the problem that this engine will be running awfully rough... as far as the DPF filter goes the first one had cracks in it and it was replaced with a new DPF filter the Ash count was reset... and as stated before I just had a valve adjustment done and the injector cables under the valve cover replaced I still seem to suffer from regens at about three hundred miles or so and the truck never calls for a parked Regen... Lastly when I'm shifting I get a slight hesitation it feels applied when trying to gain speed please advise if there's anything you can tell me more than what you've already said Jay
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The regens are not getting hot enough to do the burn outs. With that and the hesitation you are experiencing, this is turbo actuator related.

The turbo is a VGT turbo and when the truck calles for a regen needed, the fins will adjust to give a different pressure out the exhaust by putting more air to the engine which makes the Catalyst hotter for a higher burn.

If you do a forced regen with the Detroit software and monitored the heat levels, I bet they are going to be lower than 1600 to 1800 degrees which is too cool for a good regen.

On the injectors, you can have bad injectors and still have a normally running truck because the other injectors compensate. The tips could not be spraying properly which will still give performance, just not good performance. Also wit the hesitation if the injectors are missing a spray pattern, since they multi spray, you could get hesitation that way as well.

I would do a forced regen on this truck and monitor the temps. I think you will find that the temps are too low and once you change the actuator, your temps will come back up giving a more normal regen cycle and the hesitation will go away.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you looked at this and there is no rating or a follow up.

Did you need more assistance with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a flow chart or procedure so that my mechanic can fix this problem also can an engine fan cause this problem too or is the actuator for the turbo the best possibility
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have decided not to go with another tech, please cancel this call, and refund my fee, thank you