Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

Smoke under load recent engine swap

Customer Question

white smoke under load recent engine swap
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine using any oil or fuel and does the smoke smell like oil or fuel or possibly antifreeze at all?

I have seen leaking injectors cause the smoke as well as piston rings that did not seat on the replacement engine and leaking cylinder head gaskets cause this issue here.Let me know a little more on the smoke if you can.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
CUSTOMER supplied a used engine installed fine came with ecm attached to it, at idle engine is fine, hop on high way or rev engine to 38% throttle and it blows white smoke smell like fuel has all new fluids and new filter
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,this does sound like one or more of the injectors at fault here when increased fuel flow is needed.

I have seen the injectors fail/act up like this here before in the past needing replaced for this fault.I suspect the used engine had faulty injectors or if the injectors were swapped over one or more of them that were on the old engine had an issue.

The injectors will have to be tested to locate which is at fault here and to see if more then one is at fault needing replaced.

In some cases fuel balance data can be read with a scan tool compatible with this model to help locate one or more at fault needing replaced and in other cases they may need removed and tested by a diesel repair facility that can manually test each injector to see if one or more need replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can have injectors tested out my scan tool doesn't allow me to check balance
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

If your scan tool doesnt allow you to monitor the injectors then a diesel repair facility (one that usually rebuilds injection pumps) can test these individually to locate any at fault but they usually need removed and taken in to them to have them tested.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we did replace the lift pump
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I suspect the pumps (lift and injection) are both o.k. and this is the common fault with one or more injectors needing replaced.I have had to replace several before for this issue here.

Thanks Pete