Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

I have a 2009 international prostar and i am having a fit

Customer Question

I have a 2009 international prostar and i am having a fit with my thermistors. They are continually going out. I have replaced the Air Drier, Front expansion valve, compressor, etc and I am lucky to go a month before they blow. What can I do to fix this problem. I have no idea what else to do to fix the problem
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!
What do you mean that they keep blowing out? They quit? If they are quitting, that is a electrical issue and not a refrigerant issue causing them to go out. You have a short in the brown plug for the ESC which is where the thermistors go in or there is an issue in the harness. Ohm test between the thermistors and the ends of the brown plug. See that they ohm test low, like the single digits and wiggle the pins at the brown plug. There is a conection issue going on that is causing them to go out or the ESC is spiking the voltage. It needs to be narrowed down to the two. I see the pins being the cause often on these.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when you say brown plug are you referring to the small cap that plugs in on thermistors? If that is the case we have replaced those on numerous occasions . ESC? what are you referring to when you say ESC?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

ESC, Electronic Service Computer on the driver side of the truck. There is a brown plug on it and that has the Thermistor harness wires in it. Pins H, I, J, and K if I recall right. They get loose in that plug and will cause shorts which cause surges to the thermistors and they burn out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok wonderful, i will investigate that and get back with you. Is it ok to leave this ticket open until tomorrow am?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

It never closes. You can rate now, tomorrow, etc and can return to it even a month from now. It doesn't close. FYI.

Check out the plug and let me know what you find with it.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jeremy thanks for your help. It took me a few days to get back with you because I had to get the truck back but I did ohm test and got low ohms but recently put on new ends. I could not find any issues but the next day my compressor locked up and it was only 4 months old. A.c. systems on these Pro Stars are very temperamental. But I'm sure the thermistors will go back out I replaced them four times last year. We will see how long it goes but I do appreciate your
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. I just wanted to follow up since there was no rating left and I go on vacation tonight for 4 days.

I dislike the systems on the Prostar. They are the worst right behind the 4300s. They give nothing but issue after issue.