Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey,
Experience:  Diesel Technician at Cummins Pacific
89779026

I have an 06, 530 isx. can't get over 20 pounds boost.change

Customer Question

I have an 06 , 530 isx. can't get over 20 pounds boost.change the turbo and manifold and eliminated EGR. Had ECM programed for signature 600. no leaks in air to air. with vgt turbo Pyro meter showed extreme heat. Hard to keep below 1200° below 1500 rpm. At 1500 & up not bad but still high. With 600 turbo & new bully dog manifold the temp is what I expect to be normal. 700°. Response is very sluggish & max manifold is 18#.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: ECM is not coding anything. Shows everything good. Fuel pressure is good.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the exhaust tested for excessive back pressure at all this should be done.If there is excessive back pressure this will cause this fault here and the restricted exhaust component would need replaced to correct this issue.I have seen exhaust filters as well as components like a catalytic converter restricted or even a muffler restricted limit the boost,engine power and vacuum and cause this issue here.If this was already tested and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't need to test the back pressure. I have straight pipes straight from the motor
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

In some cases low vacuum or issues with turbo boost can be caused by a fault with carbon build up in the engine usually in the intake ports as I have seen before.If this has not been checked this should be done to see if any issues are found needing corrected.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has a new manifold on hit it and there wasn't any sign of carbon build-up in the head
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am notsatisfiedthat my expert has any idea what my problem is. I think he's grasping at straws to try to get paid for something he doesn't know anything about
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I apologize.I posted as I saw no one else had and wanted to help in any way I could since there was no other response.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jackie Dempsey replied 9 months ago.

Hello there! Thank you for choosing Just Answer, I am happy to assist you with your question today. Can you please provide the 8 digit engine serial number for your motor? This way I can pull up specific specs for you.

Have you been able to resolve your question? If I can be of assistance please let me know! Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Esn 79196637

Thank you for the esn, when I read your question initially the first component that came to mind was the intake manifold pressure sensor, these can plug up causing low boost. Have you checked this sensor? I have attached a couple different t/s trees (I know you mentioned there were no codes but I am basing your information on codes I have seen before to obtain the t/s info for you) As you know it is difficult to diagnose over the internet so I am starting from scratch to try to get you to your result. Some of the t/s trees have info that does not pertain to your engine if you have since deleted the egr, please disregard those areas and keep to the rest. Please let me know any questions or how you would like to proceed. I hope I have been able to at least get going in the right direction! Also just as an fyi I see the ecm calibration for this engine is AB10342 (or was last recorded as) The current ecm calibration for this engine should be: AB10342.23. There are two revisions under this calibration that pertain to boost. This could very well be your issue if the ecm calibration is not up to date

I am not seeing all of the links I added to this. If I sent them multiple times I apologize. if you only received one please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have checked all the sensors

Ok no problem, just wanted to begin with that because I have seen it many times in the field. Have you updated the ecm calibration recently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I deleted the EGR and removed it and everything pertaining to it I had to ECM reprogram for a signature 600. I don't have any idea what the numbers are

My concern remains with the intake manifold pressure sensor. If the EGR was deleted this could easily confuse the system to read incorrectly and thus you would have a boost problem without any fault codes. Did the issue begin after deleting the EGR?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it did not. if you read my post you'll see that deleting the EGR changing the turbo manifold and reprogramming ECM are all attempts athe fixing the problem I was having . Eg. low boost & high egt. and I did change the manifold pressure sensor with no results