Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

06 ford f350 6.0 power stroke its is hard starting requires

Customer Question

06 ford f350 6.0 power stroke its is hard starting requires long crank to start. runs rough once it starts but blows black smoke and once warm it runs a tiny bit better. But when throttled it seems to cut out then back in and out i don't know if its a bad icp or ipr any ideas. because there are no codes. please help
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

This could be one of 4 things with no codes.

IPR could be bad.

Seals for injectors could be bad.

Injector could be bad.

Glow plug could be bad.

When was the last time the seals were changed or the IPR? Do you have a scan tool that can read the live data and see what the oil pressure is on the rail? When was the last time the glow plugs were changed/tested? How many miles are on the truck? When was the last oil change? When was the last injector replacement? Has this issue occurred before? If so, what was done and when?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
114k miles it had an injector connector that was no good but was fixed and supposedly the ficm was changed. it is hard starting at first bu will start and run if you hold the starter key till the engine completely fires it blows black while cranking and stumbles for abit but if the throttle is pressed it will stall right out . if it runs a while it runs smotther when warmed up but it will rev to 1800 rpms cut out and back in while blow black smoke. i only have a code reader no live data.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

That narrows it down. You can most likely rule out injector. Glow plugs are a maybe, but since the issue is still there after it warms up, glow plugs can get pushed to the side for now.

That leaves the IPR and the seals. I would change the IPR first since you don't have codes or a live data reader. If it still acts up, then I would look into the seals on the engine.

If it was an injector, you tend to get gray to bluish smoke and a strong fuel smell. People behind you would be complaining of their eyes tearing up from the fuel fumes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It goes up to just about 2K toms and shudders and acts like it hit RE limiter it shudder pretty bad I can hear the turn spool a bit but does that sound like the ipr ???
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

That sounds a lot like both the IPR and seals still. More like the IPR. If the IPR isn't closing to allow the pressure to build when under load, it stalls out the engine becasue it isn't getting the fuel spray it needs into the injectors. Usually with seals, you get a little bit of shudder, but not like you describe. Typically with seals, you get a rough idel and as the engine warms, it starts to perform near normal, even at higher RPMs when the engine is under load.

I would change the IPR on this one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The seals your talking about are they ipr seals
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

No sir. They are the injector seals. They seal the injectors on the high pressure oil rail. To replace them, the valve covers get removed, the oil rails get removed, and the injectors get removed.

They are extremely common on these engines to leak and cause issues. I do 3 to 4 a week now on average. That is how bad of an issue they are.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have a problem i got ipr off and new on bu the connector in the head is broken is this a pain in the as% . to fix
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fuel injector clip keep falling in so it wont connect
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

Which connector? The IPR? Just get a IPR pigtail kit and splice the wires and use 2 butt connector heat shrink style connectors for it.

On the injector clip, that might need the injector harness for that injector.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Injector
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

The injector wire itself? Do you have a injector shop in your area that can change the wire out for you without having to replace the injector? Or is it the harness side? If the harness side, you would need to get plug end and the tool to release the pins, then swap the pins to the new plug. The tool is like $16 at the parts store.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

CLICK HERE it looks like this. You just pish the tool into the plug where the wire is and it releases the pin in the plug, then you swap the plug.

Ford has a kit behind the counter for the techs to swap them plug ends out with the new clips.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I changed the ice but it seems lose top spin not that it seems it will fall off I heard that is normal I ruined a 35mm deep socket. But it seems injector at driverside fire wall connection popped thru it looks pretty bad like if I somehow could get it it go connect I wanna be sure. So I think I'll replace it to cover my end.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I would replace it to be safe.