Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Cummins 300 diesel engine loses power Full service 700miles

Customer Question

Cummins 300 diesel engine loses power Full service 700miles ago. Went 350 miles and lost power on hills, down to first gear and then engine died. Several times. Replaced fuel filter and went great for 300 miles. Replaced fuel filter again. Max speed 45 to 55 for a maybe 10 miles, then 35 to 45 then 25 to 35. obviously something besides fuel filter. Air filter was changed at full service. What other causes are there for power loss and no throttle response in a pusher motorhome.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Is fuel fresh? Do you see black coating in the fuel filter? May have to cut it apart to see. Diesel fuel can grow algae, and it will plug fuel filters quickly. Has the fuel been treated with any kind of algaecide? You may have algae in the fuel!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
fuel is fresh got fuel three different times from three locations. Like to run off top half of tank on long drives through the desert
Open filter, no black algae or anything else ln filter. I thought I would see rust or something. Motorhome is a 95 Beaver, always in a dry climate

What is the engine model number? 300 is hp rating, not model. Is it electronic engine, or mechanical injection?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cummings. C8.3-300
Engine serial # *****

Let me opt out and see if we can find you an expert on the 8.3. Sorry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Forget it. I need someone that has a clue. Not a happy customer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cancel
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He did not help solve the problem. He just asked questions which I answered you claim to only charge for helping he was no help and then he opted out and wants me to try a different person. I am very disappointed in your service and feel I have been misled