Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.

Caterpillar C15 check engine light came on and it flashes

Customer Question

Caterpillar C15 check engine light came on and it flashes every 5 Seconds
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Just driving down the road the check engine light came on stays on and then flashes off every 5 seconds but comes right back on
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No I checked the water the oil everything I don't see anything wrong anywhere and the motor is running perfectly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Since the check engine light came on. I would like to use the cruise control switches to retrieve the flash codes. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.