go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Experience:  Technican with 20 years experience focused on engines and electrical.
35815791

I have a 2005 freightliner columbia vin u46086. Cruise will

Customer Question

I have a 2005 freightliner columbia vin u46086. Cruise will enable and only run for about ten seconds then kick off. I can't re-enable until I turn the key off and then back on. But the whole process starts again. Please help me diagnose this problem.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  go-west.. replied 5 months ago.
Good evening
Does the check engine light ever come on when this faults?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. But I'm not sure if it might be burnt out because I've never seen it on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe I might have a fault code for low voltage to barometric pressure sensor. It is fault 87 using the shutdown override button
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is also a feature on the odometer to read faults. Looks like there are 4 of them listed and they all have ecu 128 before them.
1. Pld 108 fail 04
2 . sld 146 fail 07
3 . sld 216. Fail 14
4. Pld 086 fail14Not sure if that helps at all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mq4vl97orm16yia/flx%20elect.pdf?dl=0

i hope you are good with a multimeter

you will see on page one on the left side of the diagram all your switches,park brake,service brake clutch switch etc,

You need to make sure all of that is properly plugged in and not causing a intermittent connection

the park brake and service brake switches are located in the panel below the park brake buttons,in the air manifold

if ok then you may have to see what the wiring is like from there to the ecm connector on page 2

lots of checks here but i know you can do it

let me know how you do..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you tell me What the four codes are please? I would say the circuitry is good because it will enable every start. Then just shut down like clockwork.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure if it is tied together but the automatic shift indicator read nothing. Just two dashes. It still runs down the road fine. This problem started yesterday. The cruise was very intermittent before yesterday. Maybe a couple times a day but it it very consistent now with the way I explained. Coincidence?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got the shift indicator working again. I think it was completely unrelated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still the same cruise issue

108 is for barometric pressure sensor

146 is for turbo boost not responding

216 is for another ecu reporting a fault

086 is for cruise contro; fault..

that last code doesn't have much of a description,but i want you to do something else i want you to get the codes out from your transmission

with the key on engine off go on off on off on off on off on and tell me the numbers that come out of you shift display and see what the transmission tells

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello, the transmission code was 25
25
No codes
Have you checked any of the switches?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I haven't. I'm not sure how to test them. There is one switch for the cruise control on the valve body behind the dash that I jumped the wires but no difference and also unplugged it completely with no difference.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know the circuit works because it will enable for about 10 seconds after the key is turned on. Something is telling the cruise to turn off I think but I don't know how/where else to check
Sorry for the delay
The only thing that will cause you issue like that Isa intermittent vehicle speed sensor issue or ecm
Does the speedo work intermittent?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Speedometer works great. No jumping around. Are there two speed sensors on this transmission tail shafts? Maybe one is bad?
Sometimes there is one sensor with 2 connectors have a look let me know what style you have
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looks like just a single. Placed at about 10 of clock in front of the yoke. How do I test it?
Check it for resistance should be around 600 to 1200 ohms
Also make sure the yoke nut is tight if super loose that can cause the tone wheel to slip
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just learned that 216/14 fault combined with 86/14 fault means there is something wrong in the data link with the smart shift deactivating the cruise. Any ideas how to trouble shoot?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 55 flash code on the dash while the truck is running which led to me this understanding
The connector for plugging in the diagnostic computer is it grey or black? On you truck?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is black
Perfect
Disconnect the batteries
And at pins c and d of the black connector measure the resistance
Should be 60 ohms we are checking the data link.
Let me know what you have
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. On the road now,but will try tonight
10/4
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not very good with electrical diagnosing. Just to confirm..you want me to unhook the batteries then turn meter onto ohms setting and touch red lead to C pin and black lead to D pin? Correct?
sir
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, sorry it's been so long. Ive been on the road tied up with not much down time to get to this issue. I am home for a few days in a row now. I have unhooked all of the batteries and have ohmed our pins c to d and have come up 59.4 ohms with a beginning reading of 0.2 when I touch the leads together, so im guessing 59.2 ohms is the correct answer?
it is
60 is what you want + or - 5 ohms
I'm starting to think you have a bad transmission oem harness but with it being so intermittent it's a educated guess the 1939 wires are in that harness and they can rub
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know the truck will run cruise just fine for about 10-15 seconds. As soon as the seat belt sign turns off of the dash because it ran through the cycle it will shut off. And I can make it so the same thing over and over. Would that be a harness problem? If so how do i check it. They're are a million wires on this truck. Im not sure where to start going in blind.
Go to the tcu on the side of the transmission let me know how many connectors are on it
Thanks