Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.

I just had my driver call me with an issue on a 2006 Cat

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I just had my driver call me with an issue on a 2006 Cat C-15. The truck has been burning more fuel than usual. Last night the truck had 3/4 of a tank and this morning when he woke up to had used half.
Also, the truck at times has lost power and the speedometer drops to 0 MPH.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: Also the engine light comes when it loses power and the speedometer drops. But it doesn't stay on, as soon as the truck gets power it goes away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Since the check engine light comes on. I would like to try and pull the two digit flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, My driver has checked the code and it doesn't say anything, it shows 00.. the light only turns on when it loses power then turns right off.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
There is only one code that will not come up on the retrieval procedure. It's the intake valve actuation pressure system fault. I see this a lot on these engines. When this code occurs the engine will lose power and can use more fuel.
This code is caused by a leaking Iva housing, a faulty Iva control valve, or a faulty Iva pressure sensor.
To confirm a service tool would be needed to read the ECM and troubleshoot.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.