Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Detroit 60 smoke out of stacks loosing a gallon of coolant

Customer Question

Detroit 60 white smoke out of stacks loosing a gallon of coolant every several hundred miles
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Just changed cylinder head and injector cups hoping that solved the problem my mechanics didn't put it back together yet
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Was loosing coolant slowly ran truck hot now leak got a lot worse I was advised to change sleeves or o rings
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Drop the engine oil pan down and pressure test the cooling system. this will single out which cylinder or liner is leaking. Also if this is an EGR engine and you have white smoke and white ash deposits in the exhaust from coolant burning in the exhaust it could be a faulty EGR cooler. Do the pressure test to check for both unless your engine is non EGR. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No egr

Okay. The pressure test will reveal the problem liner or head gasket issue.