Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have an older 2136 I have power to my iap valve I seam to

Customer Question

I have an older 2136 I have power to my iap valve I seam to have fuel replaced a broken rocker bridge bolt, witch required welding a washer and nut while still together, I did not disconnect the power, but used an anti-zap box. put together started up for a moment then acted as if she were running out of fuel, filters full, tried to restart acted like no fuel tried to start but did not. Now it will start on either other than that I have a crank no start?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
in case you were wondering that is a 3126 engine sorry
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
Also, can you get me the engine serial number?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
engine warning light comes on, the engine 1WM17056
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did not notice a check engine light on the dash
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
The yellow engine light? Or a red engine light?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have to take a quick look
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yellow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
old style ecm as well
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information.Since the yellow check engine light comes on, this indicates the engine ECM is receiving power and functioning. There are several things that can cause a crank no start on this engine.The first is a low or no fuel pressure condition. The engine needs at least 25 psi to start. If it is low, the injectors will not get filled and it will not start. If the engine has a hand priming pump, and it gets stiff when operating it, the engine has enough pressure to start. If there is no hand priming pump, I would connect a psi gauge and measure the pressure. If the pressure is low, I would change the fuel filters first if you haven’t already. If it is still low, I would suspect a failed fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head or a weak fuel transfer pump. The pump is located on the back of the HEUI pump.Second is a low injection actuation pressure. This is the high pressure oil system that activates the injectors. The engine needs at least 870 psi to start. If it is low, you have either a failed Injection actuation pressure control valve in the HEUI pump, a weak HEUI pump, a high pressure oil leak at an injector, or a faulty Injection actuation pressure sensor. To test the sensor, just unplug it. If the engine starts, the sensor is bad. It has 3 wires and is located on top of the engine near the front and screwed into the head.Third is a failed engine speed timing sensor. Your engine has two. They are located on the driver’s side of the engine on the back of the engines front cover under the HEUI pump. The bottom sensor is the primary start sensor. If it has failed, the engine will be hard to start. The top one is the primary run sensor. They come as a pair.Next is low battery voltage to the ECM while cranking. The ECM must have at least 7.5 volts DC to operate. I have seen weak batteries or a poor connection cause low voltage. You could have a poor connection at the batteries or starter.Next is a faulty engine ECM. The ECM has an injector driver module inside. This is what powers the injectors. If it fails, the ECM will log injector codes for all the injectors.Lastly are worn injectors. Over time the injectors can wear if they have a lot of hours on them. To verify, I like to check AC to the injectors while cranking. You should have between 20-40 AC while cranking. If you do, and you have good fuel pressure, the injectors are worn.Most often when these things are happening there will be diagnostic codes in the ECM. If your engine has cruise control switches, you can pull the codes. If you have never done this, let me know. I can get you the procedure.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she was running fine up until they brought it in for the rocker problem, as I said she started up right away after repairing the broken bolt and resetting the valves before I could get out of the truck she fluttered and then died, seams to me that it is the IAP control valve I have plenty of bulb pressure no pump at the hui but there is a Racor as the primary with a primer bulb that is rock hard
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a manual on this truck I do not know the code procedure but would be happy to learn, I believe that this is a little old for the use of my PRO-LINK plus? two data but no flat connector
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
I would not suspect a fuel problem. However anytime welding is done on an electronic engine like this. There is a chance of damaging the ECM heui pump, or iapcv. Unfortunately it sounds like that's what has happened to the engine. To confirm a service tool can read the ECM and verify. I am sorry. I wish I had better news
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
to my knowledge they are for trani and breaks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
I see. Try using the cruise control switches to pull codes.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you I'll get back in touch soon
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
beautiful I got a code of 55
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it sounds like it only records each instance should I crank the engine before asking for codes?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. Code 55 is no codes detected. I would suspect an rpm problem, a fuel problem, low voltage to the ECM while cranking, or an ECM problem. All of these can keep the engine from running and not set a code.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
No if a code occurs it will be in the ECM.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.