Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Need help with a mid 80's DT466 7.6L international. : It's

Customer Question

Need help with a mid 80's DT466 7.6L international.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It's blowing coolant out of the exhaust and has coolant in the oil. I'm thinking headgasket but I was curious could it be cavitation as well and wondering what ways are to check for those issues or maybe even other issues it could be.
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Yes it's just freshly been rebuilt.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Drop the oil pan and pressure test the cooling system to see if it is a liner seal leaking or if it is coming from the inside of the cylinder, or front timing cover area. this way you will know the source of the leak/ Could be head, head gasket, or injector cups, etc. I am assuming the head was magnafluxed, pressure tested, and rebuilt for the overhaul. So in that case it will likely be one of the others. The pressure test will determine the source as well as if you have coolant in the exhaust or intake port of the head. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I'll do the pressure test today on it and let you know what I find out.

Sounds good. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
didn't run the pressure test. But did notice their was coolant coming from the breather tube on the valve cover same amount come out when it sits cold or right after shut off. Took the intake hose off and noticed there was no coolant down inside intake.

Thanks for the update. Pull the head and send it out to be pressure tested and magnafluxed and checked for cracks and if okay milled for straightness. Check the block deck with a straight edge and feeler gauge. I would still pressure test so you know if a liner has an issue as well so you are not missing anything if you just did the head.