Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 2006 international vt365 that I had to remove the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 international vt365 that I had to remove the left cylinder head to remove some broken exhaust manifold bolt. I installed the head back together but now the engine is making a big knocking noise. what the problem could be?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you go through all the steps in the manual on torquing the head and adjusting the valves etc? Was the head sent out for any machine work?Is the noise more prominent on any particular cylinder? Feel the valve cover over each cylinder to see if you can pinpoint the problem cylinder as well as checking exhaust temps at each port for a cold cylinder and a cutout test with a scan tool. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I torqued the head to specs. But I didn't adjust the valves. the head was not sent out for machine work. I took the head out so I can have more room and space to extract the broken bolts.

Thanks for the information . Click on this link and review the steps for the procedure and let me know which ones might have gotten skipped in the order they are posted. were the injectors removed when the head was removed? If not you could have a damaged injector tip overfueling. Test for a cold cylinder at the exhaust ports with e temp reader.

VT 365 head specs

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The step that I did'nt perform is adjusting the valves. can you please send me the procedures and specs on how to adjust the valves. thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still with me?

Hi Manin, Let me see what I have.... I was unavailable most of this past week.

This engine has hydraulic lifters and they are known for bent pushrods, failed lifters and cam, or rocker arms. Check those items first. Let me know