Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 444 Cummins with 821 cpl , it was smoking smoke

Customer Question

Hello I have a 444 Cummins with 821 cpl , it was smoking white
smoke really bad . Cummins shop did a in frame. 462 miles down the road it started knocking real bad. I got it towed back and they told me a push tube was bent so they fixed it . 1275 miles later knocking crazy . I was told the cam and cam followers and front
Assembley was bad . They repaired all this at more expense . I picked up drove 967 miles started smoking knocking towed home again . This time they did not want to work on it .i took to a independent shop . It was 2 old timers in there late 60 and 70 . They called me up and I found out that number 3 head was not for a 444cummins and when they drop the pan they found 2 push tubes . They ended to another in frame all new injectors cam ,cam
Folders and head and rocker assembly plus new turbo . I drove for week and dam if it did not start smoking white smoke again . I have 2 questions for you. The last shop it was in the mechanic ask me if the stc valve had ever been replaced so we went thru all the rebuilds and found it was never done . He suggested that I replace
That and the injectors and I have NO More Smoke finally but it does run like it use to . I would get 20 to 30 lbs of boost now tops
20 . What do you think could be the problem ,bob
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** for the information. Check all your turbo boost piping for leaks with soapy water solution for bubbles and pressure test your charge air cooler for leaks as well. This can cause lower boost pressure. Verify with another gauge as well to check accuracy. What were your old boost readings you are comparing to? Are you having any low power issues or just comparative readings from before? Let me know