Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

I have a 99 international dt466e that won't crank over. I

Customer Question

I have a 99 international dt466e that won't crank over. I was driving around unloaded and it was hiccuping here and there. Then all of a sudden it died. Has power, but won't crank over now. So warn lights turn on so I'm assuming the ecm has no power. Going to check all the relative wires and fuses now. Any other suggestions?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Please give me a few minutes to type a response. I'm a slow typer.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Check the fuses at the battery box first. Then check that harness that holds them. If it feels sticky, replace it. It melted internally.

Then check to see if you have power to the small single wire. If no power, check the starter relay and see which pin is losing power. This will help determine if the ECM is not sending power or the ignition switch.

On a note for you, if the engine warn lamp comes on when you turn the key on, the ECM is getting power. If no lamp, the ECM is not getting power.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, meant to type "no" warn lights come on. Last night I pulled the plug to the icp which was covered in oil and cleaned it. Started right up and died after about ten seconds. No warn lights again?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant IPR not ICP
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

If there is oil all over the IPR, it is bad. There shouldn't be oil on it of the plug. Replace it and try again. It is grounding out and causing the shut down.