Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Trouble with the winch not disengaging on my timberjack 380

Customer Question

I'm Having trouble with the winch not disengaging on my timberjack 380 it spools up fine and disengages but when you put the transmission in gear to pull away the winch re engages and tries to spool up
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The Trans brake won't hold I thought the master cylinder was bad because it wouldn't keep pressure but now I'm thinking it's something in the transmission itself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** is your machine serial number? Winch model and serial number?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model 380 sn 66375 on trans
Winch is gearmatic 119-22644

Thanks for the update. Check the transmission filter and oil for fine metal/debris indicating an internal problem or failure in the transmission. Check the winch oil for the same. Let me know. I was looking for the service book in my files for your model and serial number but not seeing it. I worked for a dealer many years ago before Timberjack switched hands so trying to go by memory the beast I can to help. Is this winch hydraulic motor driven or PTO shaft driven?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pto driven all the oil in the winch was good the gears look new the trans filter and fluid was just changed and didn't show any signs of metal. It's a power shift trans I was wondering if maybe it could be a valve that could have a blown o ring that's letting fluid by pass

That is possible. the winch disengages but then engages again once you start moving? If not a valve the PTO might be sticking mechanically inside the transmission. Id have to see a breakdown of the transmission for the PTO shaft and clutch. Its either engaging hydraulically as you suggested or it is mechanically sticking engaged. Do you know what transmission make and model is in the skidder? I might have the transmission manual or some information on the transmission

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's an eaton trans I'm not sure on the model number I'll see if I can locate the tag

I have family visiting so it does not have to be right away. I have to get back to them. We can post back and forth as needed. I check in periodically for follow ups as time allows throughout the day and evenings