Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Onan cummins generator on our semi truck. Light flashes

Customer Question

Onan cummins generator on our semi truck. Light flashes three time says code three then code 19. No cranking nothing. Just the light flashing. It charges our truck batteries and rubs our sleeper ac so it's hot as heck in here
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: It's due for a service and all three filters changed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 6 months ago.

Error 19 can be multi-faceted and most always involves the engine speed governor OR a failure of the governor circuit in the main control board. If your unit is now failing to even try to start then you may just have a pinched/chafed wire in the governor harness or the connector between the control board and the governor has come apart or loosened. If the controller sees a dead short or completely open circuit between itself and the governor you can also obtain an error 19. If you have enough access to remove the top, 1-side and front cover you should be able to access the governor; The governor is a rather large "box" that sits atop the engine on the same side as the oil filter, can't miss it. Once you gain access make sure that the wiring harness leading to the governor is still connected. Seperate the 2 halves at the connector and reconnect them again to make sure they are making good contact.