Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

2001 sterling day cab with an ism cummins.. cruise works

Customer Question

2001 sterling day cab with an ism cummins.. cruise works sometimes, and sometimes it dose not.. I checked the clutch switch/wireing, speed sensor/ wires, the on off switch, wondering if its the clock spring in the steering wheel, that's where the on/off switch , and the set resume switch is located
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Your thoughts on the clock spring are possible. What is the full model from the engine ID tag and what do you have logged in the ECM for fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its a cummins ISM.. ser#35023760.. I have genuine cummins dealer software.. no fault codes

Thanks for the update. i see you checked the switch status in Insite and they tested okay. Watch to see if any of these change and also your engine speed signal and VSS signal for your speedometer that would possibly cause cruise to fail. Click on this link for the ECM pinouts if you do not already have them to help identifying the ECM connector pins. If there are no problems with the switches, harness, or sensors then try updating the ECM software to reset everything and see if the problem still exists. Let me know