Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.

Oil in my coolant. A cat 3054 in a TH83 Telehandler. I have

Customer Question

oil in my coolant. A cat 3054 in a TH83 Telehandler. I have checked the oil cooler for the hydraulic oil and the engine oil. Both pass an air test at 40 psi. Engine runs smooth and starts good. No coolant in oil. Any ideas on what I could check next?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Its a 2001 model.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Why only 40 psi check on the coolers? Oil pressure will be much higher, at least 60 psi on the engine and 80 to 100 on the transmission oil cooler. Is the oil in the radiator black as engine oil? The engine oil cooler is by far the most likely cause of oil in the cooling system. Not like bigger Cat engines with injectors that seal oil and fuel passages.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
40 psi was easy to do. Could have tried higher but believed a leak would show up at almost any pressure. Had the coolers under water for at least 1 minute while pressured and no bubbles.
I cat determine for sure what oil type is in the coolant. Does not look black. But engine oil is not black either. Still clean oil from a recent oil change. I was hoping you might know if there was another oil cooler I haven't spotted. I realize it could be head gasket but I don't seem to have symptoms of that. No white smoke in exhaust. No rough starts. And runs smoothly.

Engine oil cooler is the most prevalent of failures . There are no more coolers. And I agree that it does not seem to be head gasket. I would either test the engine cooler again, or replace it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You mentioned injectors. Do the injectors in this engine seal against oil pressure?

No, injectors do not have any oil to seal. I would retest engine oil cooler, it needs to be heated to 200 degrees, and pressure needs to be 100 psi for test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I can try that.

OK> Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not been able to perform your suggested action yet. Will not be able to get my machine back in the shop for another 2 weeks. Will do the rating after that.