William Herren
William Herren, OWNER
Experience:  Mechanic at HERREN INDUSTRIAL GROUP

My Massey Ferguson Diesel tractor sputters under load. I

Customer Question

My Massey Ferguson Diesel tractor sputters under load. I took the fuel line off of the engine and fired up the electrical on the tractor. Without the power, the fuel just drips, with the pump running it is a better trickle. The tank was about 1/2 full, I full the tank to the brim and the fuel seems to run with more volume. I took the line off of the pump and put my finger over the pump. It seems to run a a steady stream but nothing like the fuel that runs with gravity out of the tank.
I have put fuel additive in the tank to make sure and clear any water from storage. The fuel actually smells like the additive. If I cool off the tractor, it seems to run for a while (30 minutes to 1 hour), but then under load (bushhog running) it starts to sputter and lose power. I put the clutch in the rpms build.
What is the GPH or PSI that the fuel pump should be running? I have changed the fuel filter and made sure the bowl doesn't have anything in it. I have traced the fuel line and don't see any kinks or hot spots.
Should I replace the fuel pump (small diaphragm pump)? I don't think the fuel is bad, I have replaced it recently. What else do I need to look at?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  William Herren replied 4 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.
I have seen this several times. More than likely u have drugs from diesel that has set up in the tank next to the supply line. If you remove the fuel supply line and apply just enough shop air back into the supply side towards the fuel tank so it is pressurized, when u remove ur blow nozzle it should clear the debri. Ultimately u need to clean your tank out. Please rate 5 stars, follow ups are free.