Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have in our shop a 2012 Peterbilt with a Paccar engine in

Customer Question

I have in our shop a 2012 Peterbilt with a Paccar engine in it and multiple codes, cylinder miss on the freeway.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looking for a tech that works on Paccars that can guide us through this, we are a truck shop but this is our first paccar.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Please give me a couple minutes to sign into your vehicle information and I will be right with you.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

What are the codes you are getting?

Some of the Paccars use the Insite program. If you have Cummins Insite, you can pull quite a few codes from it. Otherwise use the JPro software to pull the codes. Let me know what the codes are, please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have Jpro but do not have Davie
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Give me one min to get you the codes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P0266 cyl contribution #2
P0473 before turbine pressure sensor ECU pin C83 signal volts too high
P1496 EGR disabled
P1106 and P2104 engine protection system derated perf/warning state
SPN4096 FMI0 SAE-NOX limits exceeded due to empty diesel fluid tank- Tank was almost full though
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

That works.

Insite works on a lot of the engines becasue PACCAR uses a lot of Cummins parts. The exhaust system and the ECM are made by Cummins. The block as well on the 2012. That is why a lot of times the Cummins sofware will work.

On the EGR disabled, does this truck have a delete done to it?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

If not, I can tell you now the EGR is bad on that code alone.

Give me a few minutes for I have the PACCAR manual that has all the codes and the troubleshoot steps. I need to pull the info off the PACCAR site for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
EGR systems all seems to be intact
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We also could not get Insite to work
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

Your engine was locked at Peterbilt then.

EGR can be intact, but the valve itself is bad. It is electronic on these with a little circuit board in them.

I'm pulling the whole manual so I still have 6 minutes left on it. PACCAR site is slow this afternoon.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

P0266 Decrease in combustion in cylinder 2 relative to the others without causing complete failure

The only suggestion is to test compression of the cylinder and replace the injector. There is liteally nothing else on the sheet for this one.

P0473 Pre-turbine air pressure under range fault
Pressure before turbine - Voltage too high or short circuit to supply on ECU D420 pin C83

Call the engine support center at 1-***-***-**** for the needed steps. Check software updates if circuit tests to be normal.

P1496 EGR - Shut off

Replace EGR

P1106 Engine Protection engaged due to EGR failure

Check for codes P1492, P1495, P1496, P1497, P1408 Follow Davie Troubleshoot and replace EGR, if needed.

P2104 Engine protection system - Warning active

Use DAVIE Diagnostics to perform a Quick Check for current trouble codes.

Refer to the troubleshooting information for these codes.

Contact the PACCAR Engine Support Center for further assistance.

SPN4096 FMI 0 DEF Level Sensor Fault - DEF level tank low

Replace DEF level sensor

This is what the troubleshoot shows for all these codes via PACCAR.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK that helps let me look into it then. Can you also tell me if the injector is going to have to be programmed?
Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

Yes, it will have to get programmed to the truck. All that is getting programmed is the flow rate. They are so close to each otehr that you won't notice it when you install it and test drive, but the fuel bill will notice it.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Please note that subscriber customers are required to rate as well.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?