Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Have a 6 v 92 in a fire truck with 110 k miles . oil

Customer Question

have a 6 v 92 in a fire truck with 110 k miles . oil pressure gauge on start up goes to 60 then drop fairly fast as it warms up but still at 30 40 lbs then the engine shuts off and wont start for 20 min.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Justin Hebert replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Do you know if that truck is DDEC1 or DDEC II?_____________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Justin
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Owned a big trucking Co had a lot of Detroit in the 60s 70s.not a mechanic .
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is your idea.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are u going to answer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't know what series it is
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Justin are u going to answer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looks like a scam.I will cancel cc
Sorry I work as an independent contractor and have a full time job in a busy shop. sorry if my answers are delayed.the engine would be a 92 series. Can you provide the engine serial number?
does the engine drop below 30 - 40 psi of pressure before it shuts off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't always drop below 30 before it shuts dn.ddec cam on the engine.o6vf187124 model 80677845
30 - 40 psi on that engine is acceptable. Its low oil pressure warning is set around 5psi. That engine doesn't run at high oil pressure and you should see roughly 45psi at 1600 rpm. What warning lights are you getting if any when it shuts down?if you are getting a check engine light or stop engine light, is it flashing?When you first start it when it is cold, does it run until it warms up, or does it only seem to run for roughly the same amount of time if it is cold or warm?It might be a sensor issue, if its doing it when it starts warming up, you could have a sensor going bad, when it (the sensor) warms up it looses connection and trips the shutdown.I'm trying to get all the information that I can on this engine, though it is proving a little challenging as Detroit themselves no longer offers support fot the old two stroke engines.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No lites come on.it used to run 30 min or more now it shuts dn after 3 to 5 min it must not be oil pressure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Probably need an old Detroit guy to sort this out.