Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

A safe, more automated way of removing pins on CAT excavator

Customer Question

A safe, more automated way of removing pins on CAT excavator buckets.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: We are banging them out manually right now with sledge hammers. I want a hydraulic press or hammer drill type tool that is quicker and safer
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Even at the dealers the sledge hammer and driving pin is the way it is done unless the pin is frozen in its bore and then a hydraulic press is used after welding a grade 8 threaded rod to the pine and using a hollow center hydraulic ram. If you do the swap on a level surface and have no down pressure on the bucket pin connection, a well greased pin comes out fairly easy unless they are dry or there are burrs in the boss, bushing, or pin. Let me know if you need more help.

If you are frequently swapping buckets on the same machine it would be a good idea to install a quick connect coupler and your days of pin driving to swap attachments will be over on that machine.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?Let me know. If so, Please take a moment to rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on the site.