Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My name DAVID I have a DT358 Neuss engine in a Dresser 520B

Customer Question

Hello My name DAVID
I have a DT358 Neuss engine in a Dresser 520B 1981 model wheel loader that I would like to replace with a compatible 6 cylinder Cummins diesel engine of similar HP and wonder what bell housing if any may be common to both.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.
Hi David, My name is***** will try to help. I will need some time to research this and get back to you.
Hi David, The Cummins upgrade will be the 6BT 5.9L Cummins mechanical fuel system. It was actually used in this model in future years. If you locate a good used you should be allset with the exception of some changes for the swap of hoses and piping, electrical, etc. If you find one already specd out for the newer model loader you will have most of what you need already. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Daniel, I appear to already know more about it than you. The critical items in question when changing motor are bell housing series, motor length, fan height, governor control, fly wheel and its offset to bell housing flange face, sump shape etc.
If I had found another later series 520B motor then I guess I would not have asked this of anyone.
Please spend my $80 wisely because I didn't.