Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 3406B model that i am have a temp issue. its very

Customer Question

i have a 3406B model that i am have a temp issue. its very inconsistent my local mechanic advised that i check the bolt on the impeller of the water pump to make sure that it is tight. and id like to know how to do that.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Could you elaborate on your issue? How hot does it get? Does it get hot only under load?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It reaches up too 225 with the engine fan on. Under load primarily in town when there is no air pushing through the radiator. Going down the why it sits at 190
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
I would not suspect the water pump. When they are the problem, the engine would overheat all the time.
There are three things I would suspect are causing your problem.
First is the thermostat may not be opening all the way. I would change it first.
Second would be a restricted oil cooler. I would remove the front cover from the water pump and inspect.
Lastly is a partially restricted radiator. When they begin to get clogged. They will start overheating under load at first. But ok at low loads.
It could be clogged on the inside or outside.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you know where i can view good schematics for the 3406B model cat engine.with a clogged radiator do i simply just need to drain it or is there a special way to flush it
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Sorry. Cat does not make any good schematics of the cooling system. Sorry.
Unfortunately flushing does jot normally fox a restricted radiator. I always remove them have send them to a radiator shop. When they get clogged like this. Flushing just won't get it unclogged.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.