Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Check engine light comes on.... only periodically and ONLY

Customer Question

check engine light comes on.... only periodically and ONLY when climbing long hills. It goes out every time shortly after load is reduced. it is fault code 2215 Cummins in Grand Junction replaced all fuel filters and could not duplicate fault code again. convinced problem solved , However after 100 miles and another very long steep hill, it reappeared. put on about 2,000 miles since. No real performance problems but periodic light is disturbing. Once or twice light went out before reaching summit. On long hill climb occasionally experienced reduced power, possibly to slow down-shift...light still on, but shifted down to maintain power and momentum..light out within minute or two of load reduction again. Any suggestions?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: this default code appeared 16 times between 800 hrs and 1251 hrs. Once more before Grand Junction for total of 17 times. Haven't checked since, but probably coded another dozen times or so, since codes were cleared. Mechanic in Moab, Utah said it had one 'hot' engine code about 4 hrs before the 1251 hrs. Cummins in Grand Junction didn't say anything about it and I saw a hotter than normal indication only one time. Normal ever since even on long hill climbs and in 100 degree weather.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jackie Dempsey replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon! Thank you for choosing Just Answer! I am happy to assist you with your question today. Can you please verify the engine that we are working with? Is this a Cummins ISC or ISL?