Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

We have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia that a little while

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia that a little while after the truck reaches operating temperature, the outside temperature is warm, and if you run it hard, or with a load, the display will show "No Data" and all gauges, except for the air gauge, stop working, and the A/C will stop working.
The ICU, ECM, both Terminating Resistors, Power Distribution Module, and Alternator have been replaced.
The Truck may have had a Qualcomm, but we can't find where it might have been located. We have checked the cab and under the bunk, but there are no signs of a Qualcomm.
Also right before "No Data" occurs, the alternator shows the voltage dropping, and when it reaches 0v, you get "No Data", but the alternator is still putting out the correct charge.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you havent yet check for any loose,corroded or damaged wiring leading to or from the alternator needing replaced or cleaned and tightened.Warm temps as well as warm engine temp can cause a poor connection to lose contact in some cases and cause this issue here.I would trace the engine wiring harness for any connection or wiring issues needing repaired or replaced.If this was already done let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I apologize for not including that we have already checked the wiring. We have followed the leads from the ECM and checked the wires to the alternator. All is well there. We did replace the alternator's leads, but to no avail.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Have you had the electronic ignition switch tested at all to see if any issues are found with it when this occurs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have checked the ignition when it occurs and all is well there. We read something about the LVD. When the LVD see that voltage is being lost, it will start shutting down systems.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About the time you get the "No Data", you don't have time to check all the wires on the harness to the LVD before it comes back up.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

If the LVD has an internal electrical fault it can cause these to shut down like this here falsley.If you have tested the alternator output and battery(ies) and found these to be o.k. and all wiring is o.k. the LVD itself may be causing this here needing replaced.I would have this tested further to be sure that this is the cause here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Bypass the LVD. You can jump the main battery cables to bypass the LVD to rule it out.

It won't be the issue in this though. The no data will either be the programming in the modules not matching up where they all need to be flashed or the cluster ICU module (which is in the cluster) is acting up. It is what sends the signal to the Alternator to power out and charge or not. I have replaced many clusters for doing the same things you are experiencing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have replaced the ICU.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

That leaves bypassing the LVD or a short in the harness. Those are the only 2 options left for this situation. you did the alternator and the voltage regulator as well as the solenoid, there is no other power jump between that will cause this issue besides harness, LVD, or modules.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I apologize for the delay. We got slammed with service calls, and haven't had a chance to get back on it. We are still fighting the "No Data" issue.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

If the LVD is good, then you are having a harness issue.

I would check the terminating resistor in the back of the truck on the left frame first. It can cause a lot of no data issues followed by the harness. I know you replaced it but I would test the plug with a ohm meter. Check at the data port and make sure you are within specs.

Also, check the programming as well. It could be that simple where the programming doesn't match from someone doing an update on the engine and not the whole truck. I have seen that a lot!

This question is about to time out do to no rating made. There is already a negative mark on the account from a previous question you asked in here and I'm trying to prevent a second one. That's why I had the auto follow up to try and keep it from timing out.

When you get a chance, please rate for the assistance I have provided. i don't work for JA. I'm an independent and only paid a portion of the deposit. No rating and negative ratings mean the funds go to the site and the expert gets nothing. No Rates, negative rates, and refunds put negative metrics on the account to where future experts won't assist. I'm just informing you of how the site works on our end.

Thanks for allowing me to assist so far and follow up when possible.