Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

1999 International 4700 T444E JA: We'll do all we can to help.

Customer Question

1999 International 4700 T444E
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The truck will start sometimes, then will not start at other times. The ECM, Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, ICP sensor, and Glow Plugs. No active fault codes, glow plugs working properly, fuel pressure is ~55 psi cranking, HPOP is reaching ~1500 - 1700 psi, starts with starting fluid perfect. The cylinder compression is between 350 - 400 psi on all cylinders.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Don't know of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is Dan. The components listed good are they all new or they tested good? Put a 5000 PSI gauge in the ICP port and apply 12V to the IPR and you should see around 4000 PSI of ICP pressure if not you either have a leak in the high pressure rail/injector o rings, faulty IPR, or HPOP. Apply shop air and listen for leaks under the valve cover. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All the parts are new and have tested good. We have already tested the IPR, it tested slightly above 4000 psi. The HPOP is brand new, it was changed at the previous shop the truck was at. We have a hydraulic gauge hooked up in the ICPs place, it shows 1500 psi while cranking. If you shoot a little starting fluid to it, it will start with no problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a pinout for the computer? We just checked one of the power wires to the ECM, it shows a loss of ~1.5v when the glow plugs are on. Once the glow plugs are off the voltage comes up and the engine will start.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We found the problem. It was a shorted glow plug relay; it was shorted to ground. We appreciate the help you provided. Since we found the problem, will there be any charges?
Well experts are users of the site just as you are. I help on here as I am able in between jobs as time allows. the site has your deposit and only splits is with the expert on positive feedback or accepted answers. So if you feel my answer was not helpful or my time to assist in troubleshooting is not worth anything then dont rate and ask the site for a refund.