Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

I have a Mack 318L transmission and am wanting to rebuild the

Customer Question

I have a Mack 318L transmission and am wanting to rebuild the auxiliary box without removing the whole trans. Was wondering how to know your timed and if I can do it without the holders
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

If you can get the tag info off the transmission, I can see if I cn pull info off the site for you. That or the VIN off the truck if it is the original trans for for.

On the time, you just need to make sure the gears "kiss" well. There are timing marks on the gears that will need to be lined up. Also, to really do it and make sure you are timed, I would pull the trans and stand it up on blocks or if you have a old table for transmission work, cut a hole in it for the shaft to go into and then work that way. Otherwise you will fight and fight that rear box. They are a pain to try and lift those shafts in place when the transmission is mounted in the truck.

Which holders are you referring to? If you are referring to the holders to line the shafts up, I can do it with or without them. It just takes patience.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jeremy,
I am a self employed diesel mechanic. I have done tons of eaton fuller rebuilds. Just not as experienced with the Mack t318L. I am trying to do this one inframe. I already replaced the range synchro. I am just wondering how I can see the marks on the main case gear is matching with the counter shafts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, I'm guessing I leave the counter shafts in the rear case as I reinstall? I was thinking of using twine to keep all of the counter shafts meshing with the main shaft
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the holders I am speaking of are meant for installing the rear box inframe
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

Mark it all with a paint pen. That is what I do and replace only the parts needed.

I'll look and see if there is a manual on the Mack site available to download.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I'm understanding correctly. I mark all of the teeth on the counter shafts that a closest to keyway? Then those three corresponding marks line up the the auxiliary drive gear on the back of the main case? Just seems kind of impossible to see. Do you think it's still best to remove the whole trans even though I have it out?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

If you want it to time right, yes the trans needs to come out.

The gears have timing dots on them. They are hard to see so I mark them with a paint pen as I am dropping them back in.

Can I get the full VIN on the truck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am away from the truck but I can get it to you shortly. What happens if it's off a tooth
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

For it, not really much of anything honestly. I've taken some apart that were off by a lot more. Where it is most important for the timing is in the trans itself for the first 3 gears on the main shaft that are dropped in. That is the reverse and main drive. Otherwise for the rest, it's not a big concern.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I wasn't sure I know on some it can cause excessive wear on the countershaft etc. I'll get the Von for you shortly
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

The VIN is so I can see if there is a rebuild manual for you to help guide you.

You do get wear, but it is on the first 3 gears and for the main shaft to counter line up. The rear box isn't as important is what I am getting at. It doesn't ba***** *****ke the transmission does. Those shafts are short so there isn;t much balance needed for them.

I've pulled some that were as much as 180 out and the transmissions were still going strong, but burned up from wrong oil used or oil drained and forgot to put back in or "hit something smal in road" and you learn they ran off the road and was off road for awhile because they fell asleep and hit curbs and k-rails.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hear ya I get that here a lot too. I'll get you the vin shortly. This truck would grind when starting off in low range. Going down the road was perfect hi to lo lo to high checked pressures. All was good. Found loose range fork bolt tightened it but it still did the same. Tore apart and honestly didn't see anything out of the ordinary except for some strange wear on the fork itself. These can be done in frame without the holders right?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I did them without the holders. I barely use them anymore.

No rush on the VIN. You can get it to me whenever you're free. I am on often throughout the day and can pull the manuals whenever.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Jeremy the Vin is 1m2ag10c05m017697 its a cv713
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

The system is letting me pull the manual, but not the pics in the manual for some reason.

I'm trying to find a way around that. I might have to do this page by page...

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

CLICK HERE for the trans reassembly. I was able to get this one to do pics.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.

Thank you,

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

I'm showing that you have never given a rating. No ratings and negative ratings mean the site keeps 100% of the fee. In other words, I assisted you for free and I get no reimbursement for my manual information provided. It also hurts your metrics that we see on our end and will prevent a expert from assisting you in the future.

Please be sure to rate me. Thanks.