Justin Hebert
Justin Hebert,
Experience:  Mechanic at Barrett's Truck and Trailer
84436372

I have a 2007 - 338 Hino cab with 18 foot bed on it that I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 - 338 Hino cab with 18 foot bed on it that I use to haul 1400 gallons of water. It is vibrating when it gets to full speed (approximate 60 mph). The whole truck is shaking.
Any ideas on what could be causing this.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Justin Hebert replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for using JA. I'm Justin and I will try to assist you with chasing that vibration. To better assist you I do have a few questions. Did the vibration start before or after changing the tires?Make sure to check all steering components for any play. pitman arm, tie rod ends, drag link.Also carefully jack up the front, one side at a time, and check for play in the king pins. (up and down movement)and see if there is any play in the wheel, such as a wheel bearing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It started before changing the tires. I will check all the things you mentioned tomorrow. Will you be available to answer more questions tomorrow if needed? Further information: The steering wheel isn't shaking so I'm thinking the problem isn't with the front end.
I will be around at times over the weekend, and will get back to you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think the problem is with the things you mentioned since the steering wheel isn't vibrating/shaking?
It is possible for one of those components to be starting to fail and cause a vibration that doesn't always show up in the steering.also take a look at suspension components make sure you don't have a broken spring or loose bolt. Does it get worse during braking?Also have you had any engine issues, an engine vibration due to malfunction can transmit a vibration thru the truck.I'm assuming since you replaced the tires that they were balanced?
It is also possible that an alignment issue can cause vibration, along with excessive and uneven tire wear.
Do you need further assistance? Have you had the chance to take a look at your truck?