Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I hav a f650 ford truck cat motor high idle works intermitently

Customer Question

i hav a f650 ford truck cat motor high idle works intermitently works for me all the time driver drives it wont work during the day i get to work at night no problem with it driving me nuts
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: its a 2006 f650 ford rollback c7 cat
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: nope just it has rocker switches on the dash not the elevated idle set up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Most often the cause of the high idle not to work is a faulty clutch switch it faulty transmission neutral safety switch. Or the switch on the dash.
To verify, you would need to have a service tool read the ECM.You may want to make sure your driver does not have his foot on the clutch pedal while trying to set the high idle.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no clutch automatic
were can i find a diagram or schematic for this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to know were it draws power from is there o solenoid that activates it or is it the computer i can get it to mess up once in awhile
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. If it's an automatic. I would suspect the neutral safety switch. Let me get a drawing for you. There is no solenoid. It's just a two wire switch. Be back in a minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guess its the cruise control they use for the high idle and pto
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I see.Here is a pic of the circuit.https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt9tp1is9noihs6/Neutral%20Switch.jpg?dl=0Basically one side of the switch run to a battery positive. The other side runs to pin 62 of the ECM.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so that activates the high idle for pto
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
This switch lets the engine ECM know if the trans is in neutral or not. If the switch or wiring is faulty, it will make the ECM think the trans is not in neutral. Thus not allowing the high idle to work. The high idle can not be used as a cruise control.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok now u confuse me thats what is used for high idle/ start the truck turn on the cruise hit the set button high idle kicks in turn on pto
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's correct. But when your using the PTO your not in gear rolling. You are sitting still correct? If the neutral switch is faulty. It will tell the ECM your in gear and not allow the high idle to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok not cofused no more i got it now i have to find the neutural safety switch
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
10-4.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.