Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a freightliner with a C-7. As i am driving the check

Customer Question

I have a freightliner with a C-7. As i am driving the check engine light comes on and i see a fault lpd 259. I stop and turn off the engine and the check engine light goes off then come back on. Error code remains.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Unfortunately there is not a code 259 for a C7. Not sure why that's coming up.
I would like to try and pull the two digit flash codes from the engine by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
holy smokes.33
39
68
32
911
69
8 12
87
13 9
13 8
87
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check engine light just turns on after driving for about 15 minutes. I do not seem to lose power.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information.Many of these are engine codes. Some are not. Sometimes they are hard to read.
There are no codes 87, 13 9, 13 8, 8, 69, 911, or 68.
But there are codes 32,33,39, and 12.Code 32 is defined as invalid throttle position sensor. The accelerator pedal
Code 33 is turbo wastegate solenoid fault
Code 12 is a coolant level sensor fault.
Code 39 is an injection actuation pressure system fault.I doubt all the codes are active. This procedure will pull both logged and active codes. Any of the codes I mentioned can cause your problem. Since you have so many and we do not know which are active. It may be best to have someone with a service tool connect to the ECM and read which is active.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took the truck in. I went to pick up the truck and all looked good. I started driving it and when I got up to about 45 mph the check engine light came back on. So I took it back and the mechanic can't seem to find anything wrong. He hooked it up to the ecm but can't seem to figure it out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Seems I have to take it in to a actual freightliner or cat repair center.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
I see. What parts did he replace?
When he connected to the engine. What code did he see?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it read 105-5. But he replaced the sensor, reprogrammed the ecm and checked the harness for the correct ohms.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information. A 105 is an intake air temp sensor code. If the code is still active and he replaced the sensor. It's either a harness or ECM problem. If he could not fix the problem. You may be better off taking it to Cat or Freightliner.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tomorrow I will take the truck to a cat dealer.However, got the following codes33
39
58
63
38
62
62
25
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Let me know how you make out. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist. This question will stay open for weeks after leaving a positive rating. So if you need more help. I'll be here to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cat truck repair center kept the truck over the weekend. Stated that the harness was bad and only two active codes 1) temp sensor 2) huei
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
I'm glad they found the problem.
What heui code did it have? 164-11?