Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.

I have a 330 John Deere excavator. 2004. 8.1 litre engine.

Customer Question

I have a 330 John Deere excavator. 2004. 8.1 litre engine. When it gets hot I get air in the water separator filter. Have changed the fuel pump, hoses and filters. Any ideas what the problem could be?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: It runs better when cold.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Air in the separator has to be a suction problem, before the fuel transfer pump. As everything after is under pressure. Quick test is to make test line direct from the transfer pump inlet, back into the fuel tank filler and run test. Te suction side has to be vacuum tight.
Did you get my response and make the test?