Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1996 International 4700 T444E tow truck. The truck

Customer Question

I have a 1996 International 4700 T444E tow truck. The truck will not stay running for more than around 10 minutes.
Came out one day, truck would not start. Turn key over and no click or anything, batteries are brand new.
Removed plug from module (guessing its the ECM or IDM) located under the windshield in center of firewall, cleaned connections and truck started right up. Runs for 10 minutes or so then just dies. Truck will not start, just cranks.
Wait 10-15 minutes, truck fires right up then dies after running for 10 minutes or so again. Never ending cycle.
How do I fix this? What should I check? I have a power probe, but no wiring diagrams. Please advise.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Superdave replied 7 months ago.
I have seen this same problem on school buses with the t444e.It is a bad Cam Sensor causing this.It is on the passenger side of the engine block. You can get to it from under the truck and is located at about the 10 o'clock position behind the crankshaft front pulley. Reach up and unplug the wiring harness, remove the 10mm bolt, and GENTLY pry the old CPS out with the flat head screwdriver.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I will replace the camshaft position sensor tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Came into the shop today, truck will not even crank, turn ignition key and nothing happens, starter does not even move.
Tested for power at starter and good 12v from battery but nothing on terminal when turning key over. Tested for power at ignition switch, all ok. Replaced camshaft position sensor, still no crank.
So I am guessing I have a new issue, any ideas where to start testing?
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Hi Scott, Its Dan. I will be glad to help. Check the start relay which should be on the firewall in line with the IDM relay. Possible faulty relay or harness/connector pin problem. Id swapping relays does not help, try grounding the relays on the ground termal of the relay to see if it will energize for cranking. Be sure to verify tour powers and grounds ar clean and tight and verify the check engine light comes on with the key on. If not check between the battery box and ECM for corroded or damaged connections and a blown inline fuse for the ECM. Let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dan. Replaced relay today actually, same issue
Is the relay powered and functioning in the cranking position? The reason i ask is the ECM grounds the relay for starting. Do you have access to a test ECM and have you checked the ECM power and grounds?
What Model transmission is in this truck?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5 Speed manual
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.
Are you getting any fault codes? If the check engine light comes on before it shuts down it could be for low coolant, etc. Let me know what codes are logged in ECM history. Also Click on this link and go to PDF page 226 and on for the fuel system checks, ICP system checks and electrical. Verify your fuel pressure and ICP pressure and let me know the fault codes.Troubleshooting
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The truck has no power, turn the key and nothing happens, no movement in dash or clicking or anything. Checked power and connections at battery and they are good. Fuse F6 was blown, replaced it but no difference. What should I check next?
Thanks for the update. Using your test light test for power on both sides of all fuses on the two metal tabes with the IGN switch on. Replace any fuses with power on only one side, Verify all batteries test good with a digital tester and if okay clean, inspect, and tighten all battery to starter connections and grounds. If okay check your relays by swapping with a known good one for test purposes and also test power to the Ignition switch and then out in all positions for a possible failed ignition switch. Let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you send me a wiring diagram for ignition switch?
I have plenty of diagrams for 2000 on but limited on prior years but I did pull up this one from one of my old posts and will see what elese i can come up with as this one is not the clearest to read.http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/HE/HeavyEquipmentTech/2014-01-04_000440_international_4300_start_circuit_schematic.jpg
Got them. Click on this link for your diagrams.Diagrams
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Those diagrams are titled DT466, but my truck is a 1996 4700 with a T444e, does that matter?
Sorry about that... They will be similar but bare with me I should have the 444E as well
Click on this link.Schematics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None of those wiring diagrams even show the starter or ignition switch or starter crank relay...
I do not see the chassis side as of yet in my files. In the meantime, try this diagram and only check the battery and ignition circuits from it. PDF page 20 on. its 4200-4400 2000 year but there were not major changes. I will keep looking through my files. Another option is to grab this manual I ran across Manual.Schematics