Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Changed out the cam on a c15 cat engine now it wont start JA:

Customer Question

Changed out the cam on a c15 cat engine now it wont start
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Engine will crank but will not start
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Timed it on top dead center, put the V to the top of the housing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
Can you get me the engine serial number?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yellow light don't come on,5ek05500
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The most likely have a blown fuse in the ele ctrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was thinking they gave me the wrong cam ? Where would that fuse be
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Not likely. If it's the wrong cam. It should still run.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.