Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I have an 1999 w900 kenworth with a 3406E cat and 13 speed

Customer Question

I have an 1999 w900 kenworth with a 3406E cat and 13 speed trans. My speedometer recently stopped reading speed and tabulating miles. I purchased a new speedometer and set the dip switches correctly. Replaced the speed sensor on trans. and wire harness to it. Also my abs light in the cab is on and the abs light on trailer does not go on (related I dunno) .I am told my ecm abs box in the cab under my dash is bad. I have power going into it ..but not coming out of it. Any thoughts ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I turn my ignition key on the speedo needle goes up and down like normal in its test cycle has lights on in it and I have cruise control normal as well ...hope this helps :)
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.
Hi Philip, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. I know you have a new speed sensor but let me know if it is the 4 wire or two wire sensor on the transmission. Some are 4 wire and a two function sensor ( speedo and ECM speed signal) Check to see what you have for ABS flash codes. Click on this link for the troubleshooting manual for ABS. I will be away until later tonight but will always reply back if further help is needed. Let me knowABS Troubleshooting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello ,
It is a two wire sensor. no codes present. hope this helps..
Thanks for the update. Do you mean you have power going into the new speedo and you have confirmed a good ground with an OHM meter to power the speedo? Make sure the sensor is reading the tone ring and the yoke is not loose causing the tone ring to spin on the output shaft(unlikely since you have no signal at all). With the wheels chocked on a level surface, brake released, forward rear wheel off the ground have someone spin the wheel by hand with the truck in neutral so the transmission yoke turns. Put you digital meter on AC volts and see if you are getting a reading and it increases with speed. Proper adjustment of the sensor is to lightly bottom the sensor out and back off 1/2 turn and lock the jam nut. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes I have done all that .....checked wires in harness etc etc. does the abs ecm control box carry this signal as i have power going in but non coming out ?
What model speedo head do you have. It should run from the sensor to the head.
whats the engine serial number so I can pull the correct diagram?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the stickers on the engine serial # ***** long gone but the vin is 1xkwdb9x8xj818319 hope this helps
the speedo is # *****
click on this link and let me know if this is the speedo you have... Also there is a pinout of the connector as well.Speedo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already have that information (in your download link) It came with my new speedo I told you I bought and installed. Mine is the 6 pin plug ....anyway I already ordered the abs ecm module ....thanks anyway
Thanks for the update Philip. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks if you have any other ideas let me know ....the ecm should be in about Wednesday :))
Other then loss of signal resulting from a poor/damaged connection in the harness for the VSS signal nothing off the top of my head. Let me know once you get your part and get back into it.