Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

2014 Freightliner M2 Check engine light system. I

Customer Question

2014 Freightliner M2 Check engine light for DEF system.
I have a cummins 6.7l with allision automatic trans with some issues that just started. Check engine light came on so of course the first thing I have my driver do is use the Launch quick scanner I keep in the truck to give it a quick scan, it came up with the following codes:
SPN 4364 FMI = 18 OC = 1
SPN 4094 FMI = 31 OC = 1
SPN 0639 FMI = 13 OC = 6I told him to drive the truck to our repair shop (25-30 miles) and I was going to look at the Doser Injector. Sure Enough I pulled it off and found a lot of crystallized DEF around the hole making only about 25% of the hole left. I cleaned the injector and the crystallized DEF. Put everything together and let it run. Since I have never been able to get the truck to do a manuel REGEN (155000 miles on it now) I cleared codes and I let it run until the truck raised RPM and did its own REGEN twice. No check engine light returned. Let driver take truck and now I have these codes and while truck was away it went into de rate
SPN 4094 FMI = 31 OC = 1
SPN 1569 FMI = 31 OC = 1
SPN 4364 FMI = 18 OC = 1
SPN 5246 FMI = 0 OC = 1
SPN 0639 FMI = 13 OC = 7Im not sure where to go. I have heard that there is a DEF filter and I am not sure if I should get a new one. I am not really sure where it is either, I believe its a small cover (four torx bolts) near DEF tank, but I am not sure if that is it. My engine code is 73515667.
Thanks in Advance!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Do you have Insite to be able to clear the codes? They could be hard set and just not cleared as well. There is no DEF filter, per se. There is a screen inline on the system, but it really isn't a filter. The screen is just before the doser. If you have Insite, monitor the temps on the regen to see if you are getting up hot enough with enough pressure. You have to do a manual regen to get the true reset done or the codes will just keep coming back over and over again.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating. Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond. I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not. We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.