roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

Have DD Series 60 in a 1998 W900. Put in new batteries; cranks

Customer Question

Have DD Series 60 in a 1998 W900. Put in new batteries; cranks but won't fire. Have fuel at transfer pump, but haven't pulled valve cover. Have power to ECM. Checked all fuses in fuse box (all OK). Are there any other fuses, or what else can I check?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 9 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist have you checked to see if the fuel pump is pushing fuel up to the head?? it is bolted to the back of the air compressor on drivers side of the motor??? Roy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes
and the pressure??? have you primed the system??? after replacing the pump, we pressure up the tanks with shop air to get the fuel up into the head for the injectors. you have a extended crank but it blows the air out of the lines Roy
is the pump new??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fuel pump puts out fuel when I disconnect the fuel line at the pump, but don't know what the pressure is.
it needs to be a certain pressure to get the fuel up to the head for the injectors. have you tried to see if it runs on or kicks on ether??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Don't know the pressure but it puts out a full stream at about a 6 inch arc. Have tried ether, it will fire on that. Don't like to use too much.
me neither. I agree it sounds like it lost its prime. have you tried airing up both tanks with shop air to see if it will fire??? Roy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Haven't tried air in tanks. Do you think the fuel pressure is too low? I would guess it to be 5 to 10 psi. By the way, truck was running good when I parked it last fall.
ok, it has been sitting. it should be around 15-20 lbs. it sounds like it lost its prime. once you get it going, it most likely will be good. the 60's hate to sit that long and retain fuel pressure. Roy
air up the tanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, I'll see if I can get it going by pull starting it. Will let you know how that works. Thanks for the help, Roy
your welcome Roy please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Roy: Pulled it about half a mile. Didn"t get a pop out of it. Are there any fuses other than in the fuse block? Any other ideas?
thats not going to start it at all, that will not purge the air it is done by cranking it. no, no fuses this is mechanical. Roy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked fuel flow at transfer pump again, good flow at 20 psi. Is there some thing in the head that would trap the air? I'm going to quit for the day but will contact you again tomorrow afternoon. Have doctor appointment in morning.
just the injectors themselves. it is possible that the o rings are bad at the bottom of the injectors or the injectors them selves are bad Roy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Or that the injectors are not being activated?
no, the injectors not working period. they are electronic controlled but you would have codes if that was the issue.try the priming process first Roy