][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

I have a 2007 Kenworth W900 with a ISX Cummings. April 19,

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Kenworth W900 with a ISX Cummings. April 19, 2016 I had it diagnosed at the Kenworth dealer because it was gaining oil. Was told all injectors were bad. Had them replace them. Then on May 5, 2016 truck trhew a code. Took it back. At first they said it was a nothing code but wanted to do a search of the history. Decided it was the EGR. Had them replace it even though it was done approx not quite two years ago. Now $9800 later I believe it is still gaining oil. I am tapped out fund wise. Engine is running fine really. Only complaint is the cruise cuts off by itself. Dealer was aware of this but I guess did't address it. Not sure if it fits in here anywhere. Any ideas why it may be gaining oil now?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for choosing our service today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you today. I just wanted to ask a couple questions to get a better idea of the situation. So the truck is running okay right now, so no engine lights or anything like that since the EGR was replaced? When you say it's gaining oil, do you mean the oil level is rising? If so were you able to tell if it's fuel, or coolant? How fast does it rise on the dip stick? More info the better, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights since EGR replaced. Yes oil level is rising. I think it is fuel because is not milky. Not really how fast, about an inch in two weeks. Thank you for your help.
Okay, thank you! My apologies for the delay. So the oil was gaining the same amount before the injectors were replaced? Did you take the injector repair, and the EGR repair to the same shop? Did you put new, or remanufactured injectors in it? No other symptoms like smoking black, white? If not, the other realistic problem would be the mechanical fuel pump. Would you like the part number? What I would recommend is take it back to the shop you had the injectors replaced at. Tell them it didn't solve the problem and to check there isn't a faulty injector. If not then replace the mechanical fuel pump. If you need more time till the repair then just get the oil dumped. Only fill it to the bottom of the dip stick to buy you another couple weeks. what I'm hoping is that its just a faulty injector, then you will have everything covered under warranty. If not, the fuel pump is not very expensive and a quick job to replace. Let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any other questions. Just in case your not sure how the site works, experts like myself are freelance so we only get a portion of the proceeds if you rate the question positively. I can send you the part number, breakdown or answer any other questions, I would appreciate a rating in return once your happy. Thank you for the opportunity to help you today!