Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've had problems w/ a '08 isx. I died while pulling a grade. Would start and run and die after a bit. We though we determined a ECM problem at a Pete dealer. They replaced the ecm. Got 300 down the road and died again. Now n the shop w/ a bad tyrbo actuator and oil in the exhaust. Could the motor have aspirated the oil to the exhaust. The current shop says it's a head problem but the truck was ruining well when it dies.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Hi its Dan. What codes are you getting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't get codes when it was until the end when I got boost press & turbo actuator. After Eco was replaced
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had a check engine lite some time but no faults found.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My big thing right Now is that they want to pull the head because of the oil and my gut is saying there's another reason for the oil. Like the motor still turning because it quit while on the road. Oil sucked pass the rings when no oil preasure was present? Could this be reasonable?
The oil in the exhaust is a result of your turbo failure as the bearings are allowing oil to leak into the exhaust from the failure.
check the exhaust ports for oil or unburned fuel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But there is oil in the ports between the motor & turbo.
If it is in any of the cylinders it would be from low compression in that cylinder and you would have a cold cylinder if measured at the exhaust port
You will need to determine if it got sucked in from the intake side of the turbo leaking oil or if it was produced from blowby of the rings.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My thoughts are to put a turbo on it and run it and then check the turbo and exhaust ports to see if there is new oil
Inspect the inside of the oil filter for metal/debris indicating internal engine problems
If there is no metal in the filter then yes I would say it is safe to run the new turbo.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't anticipate any because the turbo failure is due to the actuator failure. Not an actual turbo failure. The turbo was just replaced 100,000 ago and w/in 45 days had to have the actuator replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My ? Right now is could that oil come from blowby from a dead motor turning w/ no oil,preasure? I am talking w/ the shop again tomorrow
It is possible yes as blowby can be caused by rings, piston failure, valves or valve guide problems, timing issues, Misadjusted valves and injectors, etc.
I am signing out for the night as it is after midnight EST but we can follow up as needed.
i log in in between jobs and as I am able for follow ups.