Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

We own a Bayliner 3988 with twin Cummins 330 HP (6BTA-5.9-M-3)

Customer Question

We own a Bayliner 3988 with twin Cummins 330 HP (6BTA-5.9-M-3) engines. We had to replace both turbos in Sept 2014 with 1285 +/- hours on each engine/turbo. Now, after 110 hrs apiece, both turbos are slinging oil similar to the original turbos. Why is this happening, what is the likely reason for failure of these turbos? Have there been issues with the manufacture of turbos recently. I feel the problem is a parts failure.
Thank you
***** *****
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist did nayone clean the return lines back to the block??? if they get clogged, oil cannot return to the block and will back up and puck out the turbo Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes they were cleaned along with the aftercoolers, air cleaners, and oil piping
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 11 months ago.
Hi Tom, my name is ***** ***** I just wanted to start with a couple questions please. When you replaced the two turbos last time what did you replace them with? Rebuild originals? Remanufactured from factory? or New? While operating in that time period between failures did you notice whether the engine oil pressure, or temperature seemed normal? I think you might be right with a manufacturer issue but it's always good to eliminate everything minor first. Thank you,