Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

What pressure should you have to start the truck on a 2003

Customer Question

what pressure should you have to start the truck on a 2003 common rail. high pressure
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 10 months ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this what engine we working on, Please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2003 dodge common rail. cranks but doesn't start. will start fine if plugged in or if later in the day when it heats up. has a fass 150 and aftermarket filters (Baldwin and Cat) has a new grid heater and new realys (2)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pressure is showing below 5k when cranking, I have read that you need over 5k to start it. why would plugging it up or when it heats up change the starting?
Expert:  Wayne replied 10 months ago.
Hii Thank you for that reason for easy start plugged in the heat being sucked in during cranking you need minimum of 850 for starting this was your question I hope this helped you Hi If this helped you Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more starsIf more info is needed, use the reply buttonNOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does not start if not plugged up. you only need 850 psi? I have read you need 5000 psi to start. my truck is at 4800 psi and will not start but will start up easy if plugged in or in the heat of the day.
Expert:  Wayne replied 10 months ago.
Hi MY Typo needs 5800 pounds to fire injectors but you mentioned , does not start plunged in , but will star if you plug it in ???
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes that is correct, fires right up if plugged in or if I wait until the heat of the day it fires up. once running it will run all day no problem took it to a shop and no luck still doing the same thing.
Expert:  Wayne replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for that so we are not repeating our selves, did that, did that change that what was replaced , Please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so I have replaced the grid heater and relays, have a fass150 and run Baldwin and cat fuelfilters have a new starter. Cranks and doesn't start except when plugged in or later in the day when it's hot outside. It is in the 50's and 60's when I am trying to start it. Cranks no start. I can use starting fluid and starts right up. Once running it will run all day no prob
Expert:  Wayne replied 10 months ago.
HI Thank you for that you keep telling me out door temp,plugged in and starts we need to back up , you do not have the LBS to fire the injectors