Justin Hebert
Justin Hebert,
Experience:  Mechanic at Barrett's Truck and Trailer
84436372

2009 freigtliner cascadia with detroit diesel engine, truck

Customer Question

2009 freigtliner cascadia with detroit diesel engine, truck wont start with key, when i bypass key and put switch to starter i get a good crank but wont turn over.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Justin Hebert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will gladly help get your truck starting again. Just have a few questions to get a better idea of what is going on. When you turn the key (trying to start it normally) does it do anything at all? make any clicking? Which method are you using to bypass the key? are you jumping power on the solenoid, or running power directly to the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switch to starter, when the key is turned a bunch of relays are clicking.
if you have a bunch of relays that are clicking repeatedly they are losing power and resetting. Do you have a way of testing your batteries and making sure they are fully charged? Also if you were to jump power right to the starter, therefore bypassing the solenoid will it turn over? and you mentioned before that bypassing the key, you get a good crank but it wont turn over? Is the started spinning but the engine not turning over? or is it just not firing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
batteries are charged, only stays running with ether
Are you able to scan the computer for any active and inactive codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did no codes
does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
and do you have a fuel pressure gauge with a compuchek pitting? you should have a compuchek test port near the fuel filters on that truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the neutral safety switch located? Its an automatic smart shift
if you have the smart shift, you do not have a typical safety switch. You have the one with the paddle controller on the steering column?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, but i noticed when i play with the padle shift i can get it to turn on with the key. very weird.
that is weird. Sounds like you may have a defective paddle shifter. I myself can't say its a common problem, though I have had to change a few of them. I do not believe that I have an easy way of testing that without any special tools, but I will look and see what I can come up with.
I've look thru a few of my service books and also checked with the local freightliner dealership and there is no accurate way to test one of those paddles without any special tools. You may want to start by checking it's connector located in the steering column. It may have come loose. Also the wires coming from the paddle may have been rubbing something inside the column and damaged the wires.
are you still in need of assistance?