Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a NH LX885 and I pulled it into shop initially to clean

Customer Question

I have a NH LX885 and I pulled it into shop initially to clean the radiator because it was getting hot always started good ran fine into the shop. While the radiator was getting checked out I serviced the engine new air oil and fuel filters. Blead the fuel system one the filter housing which has a filter an sediment bowel new oring seals started and ran about 10 seconds and hasn't started since. New rebuilt Bosch starter new oem hand primer battery has been load tested and was good ,12 volts to fuel shutoff solenoid. No blown fuses no lift pump. Any ideas
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The filter with the primer on top? Is this the electric primer pump or hand pump primer. This is the problem area, I have seen it more than once. The seals leak and air is drawn into the pump, so system is never solid fuel. With the special connections it is hard to come up with a bypass to test . But the suction side of the fuel system is sucking air!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened the line for the supply to pump and hand pumped fuel out of that line and closed it still have fuel to the injectors
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
you have fuel and no air up to the injection pump? Is the fuel solenoid opening (clicking) when key is turned on? If solenoid does not get battery voltage, the injectors get no fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have 12 volts but during cranking the voltage drops to 8 volts so I hooked up a battery just to the solenoid and checked with a volt meter an had 12 volts during crank with the separate battery the solenoid does click when powered up by key and when unplugged no fuel spraying at the injectors
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If solenoid is opening, there should be fuel to the injectors, unless pump failed, which is not likley. This is single one wire solenoid? Remove it and remove the spring and plunger and reinstall . Be prepared to kill engine by cutting off fuel or air!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the rubber off the plunger but the plunger does not want to come out of the solenoid I feel like I am going to break it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
As long as the sole nod does not close the passage, try it with the rubber tip off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did still no start
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the high pressure injector lines, if no spray, pump is not opening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same as before all three lines cracked spraying at all 3 and just like always just little puffs of smoke
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel spraying, not just dribbling? Then fuel should be getting to the cylinders. Is fuel quality ok? No gas been added in error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel is spraying and is not dribbling fuel is good and no gasoline in the system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At what voltage does the solenoid close?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid needs 12 volts, but will work with slightly less, But if fuel is squirting, the solenoid is ok. Do you get white smoke when cranking? No glow plugs on this engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it has a intake preheater
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
But no glow plug hole to check compression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Negative no glow plugs
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
This all started when you said you had overheating problems. I am beginning to wonder if the compression is too low to fire the fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running good no issues just after a little bit of full throttle and working it in dirt it was getting warm
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If it has fuel and compression and is in time, it should fire off. From what you say, the injectors are spraying, that only leaves compression and timing. I have to assume it is getting air!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have unplugged the intake preheater and put a little bit of diesel in the intake it tries to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the air inlet going into the intake is off so getting plenty of air with no restrictions
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Will it fire on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kinda but hits better on the diesel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm at a loss. Let me opt out, maybe someone else will read and reply!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at a loss as well I've tried everything
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charlie, My name is***** you getting any fault codes logged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it only runs in the service mode they have the seat unhooked and I have only had it a month or so and I don't a have a service manual to try to figure out how to reconnect it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To answer your question I do have a error 02
So it was being run in service mode prior to this occurring? Now a crank no start issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
is the electric lift pump on the filter housing working and has power to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I think I got the seat all plugged in now it will crank in the rub position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lift pump on this model it is the sediment bowel and filter the non emissioned engin
If the fuel shutoff solenoid is power and there is fuel to the injection pump it should run unless there is an internal problem with the pump or pump drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news
Did you get it to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently with parking brake on I accidentally hit the right conto an the starter speed up then it fired up it was trying to engage the right drive
That will do it.There was a hydraulic load on the engine.
Glad you got it resolved