cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

How to remove water pump from front structure on 1989 Cummins

Customer Question

How to remove water pump from front structure on 1989 Cummins l10 after removing bolts and front pulley.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Water pump won't come out, sits with 1/4" gap but won't come out further
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 7 months ago.

what is the engine serial number?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3460 2787

Remove the water pump pulley retaining capscrew.

Use the standard pulley puller,to remove pulley

Remove the alternator

Remove the dust seal.

Remove the five water pump oil seal capscrews, clamping ring, oil seal, and gasket.

Remove the dust seal as the seal carrier is removed; or use a heel bar, or similar tool, to pry the dust seal away from the seal case. Then remove the dust seal by hand.

Discard the oil seal and dust seal.

Loosen the coolant bypass hose clamps on both the upper and lower hoses.

Remove the upper coolant hose from the thermostat housing.

Remove the four thermostat housing mounting capscrews and the thermostat housing.

Remove the two water pump water transfer connection capscrews.

Remove the three water pump mounting capscrews.

Rotate the water pump outward so the water transfer connection can be removed from the water pump.

Remove the water transfer connection from the water pump.

Remove the water pump. Twist the pump outward from the top, and angle the rear of the pump downward as it is being removed to allow the pump to pass the thermostat housing support.

Install the water pump cover. Use a new o-ring seal.

Torque Value: 47 n.m [35 ft-lb]

Install a new o-ring on the water pump mounting flange.

The water pump must be twisted outward from the top until the transfer outlet clears the thermostat housing support during installation.

Install a new o-ring on the water pump water transfer tube.

Install the connection into the water pump.

Twist the water pump inward, and install the three water pump mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 47 n.m [35 ft-lb]

Install a new gasket on the water pump water transfer connection. Install and tighten the water transfer connection capscrews.

Torque Value: 25 n.m [18 ft-lb]

Install the hose on the thermostat housing bypass outlet.

Install the thermostat housing and four mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 54 n.m [40 ft-lb]

Equally space the bypass hose over the water pump connection and thermostat housing connection, and tighten the bypass hose clamps.

Torque Value: 3 n.m [30 in-lb]

The oil seal must be installed with the lip of the seal and the shaft clean and dry. Do not lubricate. The yellow dust lip must be facing out.

Install the new gasket and oil seal. Use the installation sleeve provided with the new seal to install the seal.

The capscrew threads must be coated with thread sealant, Part Number(###) ###-#### ***** equivalent, to prevent oil leakage.

Torque Value: [180 in-lb]

Place a light film of oil or antifreeze on the inside of the oil seal dust seal.

Install the dust seal onto the shaft with the larger outside surface facing the engine.

Push the dust seal back by hand on the shaft until the entire dust seal contacts the oil seal case.

Install pulley

Install the capscrew in the shaft.

Torque Value: 75 n.m [55 ft-lb]

Please don't forget to rate my service

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That info was useless.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The pump will not come out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is something stopping it from being removed, it is not hitting on anything externally.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I only need help for removing the pump!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello!?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?

The process is simple. Please recheck. worst case scenario is the bearings in the gear housing are seized. then you need to replace the entire gear housing

Just following up. Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 6 months ago.