Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Ny tractor does only one click and then does nothing what could

Customer Question

ny tractor does only one click and then does nothing what could it be, thanks.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: have charged the battery, cleaned the posts, cleaned the rad, the air filter, oil is good too
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: the pto button is down, tractor is in nuetral tried the lights hazard lights flashed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Make and model? Do you hear fuel solenoid click when key is turned on and off?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i turn on the key the light bulbs show on and when i want to start the engine there is only one click and then nothing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
john deere utility model 2305
Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage? Has to be over 12.5 volts. Fully charged will be over 13 volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nothing wrong with my battery
Do you have a voltmeter ? What is voltage at the starter solenoid, where the battery cable attaches?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no i dont have a volt meter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
battery charger said it was 100% fully charged
If you go direct to the starter solenoid, and jump from the battery cable terminal, to the single switch post on same solenoid, will starter spin engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you be a little more clear, what does jump from battery cable to single switch post mean?
Take a short piece of insulated wire , and touch the battery cable terminal and the switch terminal at the same time. This is the same connection that the key makes when you turn key to start.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i touched the battery post to the battery cable connector. nothing happened. not even a spark. was that what i was supposed to do?
Battery post on the solenoid (large post) ,to the single small post on solenoid.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you know where the solenoid is? not in my manual
The posiitve battery cable goes direct to it. Here is picture of typical solenoid, the large terminal onthe right is the battery cable, and the small post with the black.white wire is switch terminal.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for the picture, my selenoid has two blue wires, but i cant reach from there to the battery post. i dont have electrical wire long enough to jump it. is there another way? also when i tried the key today, i noticed that the one bulb came on and the battery light came on. does that make a difference?
Battery post at the solenoid , to the switch wire is only about an inch apart. You don;t have to come from the battery!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
couldnt find the selenoid, took the part under the steering wheel off but wasnt there either. i havent got a clue any more. but i have a corrosive positive battery cable. could that have something to do with not starting?
Yes a bad posiitve cable can be the no start problem!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my cable has a copper clamp. can i put a metal one on instead. i have that one spare but don't have a copper one. is there a diference between metals?
No, either cable end will work. Does not have to be copper.