Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a Mitsubishi MM55 SR excavator that has some one

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Mitsubishi MM55 SR excavator that has some one bad computerized joy sticks and I salvaged some hydraulic joysticks off another machine. Can you tell me how to pipe them up to the control valves?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Could not find the computerized joysticks anywhere so was overjoyed to find the manual ones. Just need to know how to make them work.
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 7 months ago.
The step refers to using the 7X1710 probes, these will allow you to slide into the back of the connector and contact the pins inside. If you have any small needle contacts, this will work as well. The screw is in the adapter on the ecm opposite of the connector. It is the same screw used on all ecms. (4mm or 5/32 allen wrench will loosen the connector.) It is probably covered with dirt and a light cleaning or scraping with a pick will help you find the hex socket for the wrench to fit.The manual wants you to test the connection before disconnecting the connector but, you can do it either way.NEVER open an ecm, this will destroy any turn-in value for REMAN exchange if needed. I am sorry for the late reply, I had to step away again. I did dig through some other manuals but, could not find any better image to show the screw location.Sensors only use 5 to 8 volts. Even a dead short in a sensor will not draw enough power to affect the ecm.Look for high amperage draws like A/C compressor, fans or even the starter switch sticking and the starter motor staying engaged. The air inlet heat is in the air inlet on the engine. Between the inlet elbow and the intake manifold. Test the power wire for current and follow it back to the control relay if you find power is staying on the wire. This is usually a 4 gage red wire.If you find the power and ground is correct to the ecm, begin testing the data link code to the monitor. Normally, the data link codes will not stop a machine but, sometimes they do relate if both codes remain active.
The step refers to using the 7X1710 probes, these will allow you to slide into the back of the connector and contact the pins inside.If you have any small needle contacts, this will work as well. The screw is in the adapter on the ecm opposite of the connector. It is the same screw used on all ecms. (4mm or 5/32 allen wrench will loosen the connector.) It is probably covered with dirt and a light cleaning or scraping with a pick will help you find the hex socket for the wrench to fit.The manual wants you to test the connection before disconnecting the connector but, you can do it either way.NEVER open an ecm, this will destroy any turn-in value for REMAN exchange if needed.I am sorry for the late reply, I had to step away again. I did dig through some other manuals but, could not find any better image to show the screw location.Sensors only use 5 to 8 volts. Even a dead short in a sensor will not draw enough power to affect the ecm.Look for high amperage draws like A/C compressor, fans or even the starter switch sticking and the starter motor staying engaged.The air inlet heat is in the air inlet on the engine. Between the inlet elbow and the intake manifold. Test the power wire for current and follow it back to the control relay if you find power is staying on the wire. This is usually a 4 gage red wire.If you find the power and ground is correct to the ecm, begin testing the data link code to the monitor. Normally, the data link codes will not stop a machine but, sometimes they do relate if both codes remain active.