Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

04 CHEV C6500 3126 CAT, SMOKES WHITE HEAVILY ON START UP,

Customer Question

04 CHEV C6500 3126 CAT, SMOKES WHITE HEAVILY ON START UP, LET IDLE TIL SIMMERS(WARM),WILL CONTINUE TO SMOKE GOING DOWN THE ROAD ,THEN GOES AWAY TEMPORARILY, I CANT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE POWER,HAS 440 K MILES,22K HOURS,GOING THROUGH 6 QTS OF OIL IN 100 MILES,5-6 MPG, NO COOLANT LOSS, HUEI PUMP AND INJECTORS WERE REPLACED,A YEAR LATER WAS TOLD INJ 5 AND OR 6 INJ WEAK OR LOW IN COMPRESSION, I SHOULD BE RECEIVING COMPRESSION GAUGE SOON,DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL BESIDES REMOVING INJS TO TAKE COMPRESSION READINGS-SHOULD I DISCONNECT ANYTHING, WHAT SHOULD COMPRESSION BE (KAL48457)BESIDES RINGS/OVER HAUL -IS IT POSSIBLE INJECTOR (S)IS WEAK OR OUTSIDE O-RINGS.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
It does sound like you have cylinder wear or possibly broken piston rings. I've seen this many times. Normally I see this on 3126 engines with over 350.000 miles. That's about the life expectancy of a 3126 before it starts consuming oil and smokin at start up.
Unfortunately Cat does not release compression specs for the 3126. The reason I am told is Cat does not make a compression adapter. Nothing special needs to be done to test. Just make sure the tester you get covers the area in the head where high pressure oil comes out.
It is possible an injector can cause the smoke and also consume oil. The injector can fail and allow oil to enter the fuel system. If this is happening. Your fuel will have a dark tint to it.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I ORDERED THE COMPRESSION ADAPTER FOR THE CAT WITH THE HOLD DOWN AND GAUGE FOR 280.00 WHAT PRESSURE AROUND SHOULD I BE SEEING 200-300 PSI ,IL OF COURSE COMPARE WITH OTHERS. JUST TAKE THE INJECTORS OUT AND INSERT ADAPTER AND TURN OVER . DO I NEED TO DISCONNECT ELECTRICAL OF SOME SORT. LIKE I SAID. I PLUG IT IN AND IT STARTS RIGHT UP. WHEN IT SMOKES YOU CAN TELL THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER IS LOADING UP AND SOMEWHAT MISSES. FUEL IS NOT TINTED GOOD COLOR. IT DOESNT SMOKE ALL THE TIME . IT WOULD IDLE GREAT FOR SEVERAL MINUTES WITHOUT SMOKING EITHER OIL OR DIESEL
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
IM PLANNING ON REPLACING THE RINGS IN THE BAD CYLINDERS. IF AN INJECTOR WAS LEAKING -OVER NITE SAY. IF I TOOK OFF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WOULD THE LEAKING INJECTOR BE LEAKING HOPEFULLY..
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
I would suspect you should see around 350-400 psi on a test.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
If it's an injector. The oil goes into the fuel. But if you had a bad cylinder. You may be able to drop the exhaust manifold and see traces of oil.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WHEN I REMOVE THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD IM HOPEING TO SEE DIESEL FUEL NOT OIL ,TO CURE THE WHITE SMOKE PROBLEM , THE OIL LOSS IS ANOTHER ISSUE. I STARTED THE TRUCK UP THIS MORNING IT DIDNT SMOKE AT ALL ,IDLED GREAT. THIS IS INTERMITTANT THATS WHERE IM STUMPED.?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
The good news is I would not suspect wear in the cylinders. When there is wear. It's not intermittent.
I'm beginning to suspect an injector. They can be intermittent. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ONCE AGAIN ,IM NOT QUITE SURE HOW JUST ASK WORKS.EVERY TIME YOU REPLY . DO YOU GET PAID EACH TIME I HIT 5 STARS. DOES THAT END MY SESSION FOR $33. OR DO I PAY PERHIT? NOT THAT YOU DONT DESERVE TO GET PAID EACH HIT. IM SURE MY TRUCK PROBLEMS AREN'T DONE YET.THEY'VE GONE ON FOR YEARS IT SEEMS. I HOPING ITS RINGS AND AN INJECTOR AND WE CAN CALL IT A DAY. JUST HAVE TO FIND WHICH ONE IT IS. LIKE I SAID DIESEL FUEL IS CLEAR IN TANK. THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUING HELP.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
I only get paid when you leave a positive rating. The question will stay open after leaving a positive rating. So if you need more help. I'll be here to keep assisting as long as needed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I PROBLEM LAST TIME WAS THE ICP IN THE HUEI PUMP,THAT CURED THE LIMP MODE,THEN I HAD THE INJS REPLACED ,BUT I THINK THEY GAVE ME A BAD ONE AND BLAMED IT ON WORN ENGINE, BUT I CANT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE OF THE TRUCK . IT NEVER STRANDS ME.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF BESIDES COMPRESSION CHECKING? SOMEHOW ON WHICH INJECTOR? HAVE YOU SEEN LEAKING FUEL IN A EXHAUST PORT?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
I see. Yeah I would try having a cylinder cutout test performed to identify the faulty injector. It would be best to have it done at start up when it smokes. If there is a faulty injector. A cutout test will find it.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. I've notice you have not left a rating for the last few questions I have answered. Please do so and I will receive credit. Thanks.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.