Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS C7 CAT ENGINE, WE JUST FINISHED

Customer Question

HI I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS C7 CAT ENGINE, WE JUST FINISHED TO REBUILT THE ENGINE, AND I AM HAVING A ROUGH RUNNING, AND THE CODE FOR 164-11 INJECTION ACTUATOR PRESSURE FAULT 39
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: WELL THE TRUCK CAME IN WITH LOW OIL PRESSURE, LEAKING OIL FROM THE BREATHER BLOW BY, WE REPLACE PISTONS AND RINGS, BEARINGS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I THINK THIS IS IT.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.Code 164-11 (39) is defined as an Injection Actuation Pressure System fault. I see this a lot on these engines. This code indicates the ECM is not seeing the correct Injection Actuation Pressure. This code and problem is caused by several things.The first and most common is a faulty HEUI pump. To test a high pressure 5000 psi gauge is needed to connect to the outlet of the HEUI pump. It must make at least 4200 psi steady or higher while cranking. If it does not, the heui pump is faulty.
Second is a faulty IAP sensor. To test you can install a high pressure gauge into the head and compare the reading to a service tools reading.
And lastly is a leaking injector.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.